The bathroom is a room that gets a lot of use and so can easily start to look worn out quickly or it may just be old-fashioned. There are many reasons why you may want to renovate a bathroom, so if you are on a budget, here are 5 tips for you.
- A bathroom that is tidy and organised will always look better than one than is not. Therefore, additional storage can have the effect of brightening up the bathroom. Closed cupboards are better than open shelving because you can shut the door on the mess – and they don’t get covered in dust. However, make sure that they are easily accessible or they won’t be used as much. You can fit lots more in if you put all those smaller items into a container in the cupboard. Storage in the shower recess may also be possible and will ensure that your grooming products are right to hand.
- Adding extra lighting can brighten up the bathroom as well as allow you to see what you are doing much better. You can add a larger window or change your lights. Pendant lighting is popular these days. Don’t forget the task lighting, since most central lighting will throw your face into shadow when applying make-up. Having a light over the mirror makes a big difference.
- Upgrading the fixtures and fittings is probably the single best thing you can do to achieve a fresh new look and make your bathroom more modern. Get rid of stained or old pedestal basins and replace with a vanity unit that has storage underneath. You won’t have to change the position of the plumbing, which is expensive. Choose chrome taps as they are easy to clean and always look nice – get the ones with ceramic washers so you will have no dripping taps.
- Not all bathrooms have tiles over the whole walls. Paint the walls a different colour, but avoid textured paint because it is difficult to clean and dust will accumulate in all those tiny crevices. You could also change the tiles, but this is a little more expensive than painting. However, re-grouting the tiles can really make them look new and is much cheaper – and easier.
- Towel racks take up a lot of room in the bathroom and don’t always look tidy. Strong hooks can be a better alternative and a lot more towels can fit into the same space. And there is no need to straighten them out for a neat look. Over-door hooks don’t even have to be installed.
So remember, there is no need to suffer the annoyance of an old bathroom that makes you shudder every time to walk through the doorway.