While nothing can clean your carpets like a good steam clean from Brilliance Carpet Cleaning Perth, you cannot call them in on a weekly basis. And when you have children, pets, visitors, food and drink all in the same room there is bound to be something that gets spilled, staining or dirtying your carpet. Leaving it there for months until the next professional clean job is due is a bad idea. Not only will it look horrible, it will set and become almost impossible to get out. So here are some carpet cleaning secrets that you can use to keep your carpet looking respectable in between times.
- If the kids have dropped gum on the carpet, hold an ice-cube over it so it hardens before you attempt to pry it out. Leaving it soft will be likely to spread it further.
- Sprinkle bicarb soda over the carpet and leave for a few hours or overnight if possible, then vacuum it off. It helps to soften dirt and stains which will be more likely to vacuum out. It is also cheaper than commercial carpet cleaning powder.
- For smelly stains, mix equal parts of vinegar and warm water and dab gently. Try not to wet the carpet too much, as this will force the stain further into the fibres or the underlay.
- When mopping up wet stains such as spilled coffee, blot rather than wipe. Start from the outside edges and work in, otherwise it is likely the stain will spread. Never let the stain dry on the carpet before you attempt to remove it.
- Vacuum the carpet once a week or more often in high-dirt areas to keep dirt and dust from penetrating into the fibres. Vacuum slowly to give the suction time to work and go over high-dirt areas such as in front of the sofa from two or three different angles.
- Find out what your carpet is made of and the best way to clean it from the manufacturers if possible. Otherwise, use a general carpet cleaner and follow the directions carefully.
- Using a powder cleaner means the room will not have to be placed off-limits while the carpet dries; important when you have children.
- Use a soil retardant straight after having your carpet professional cleaned and when it is first laid while it is new and clean. This will help to preserve it and keep it clean for longer.
Dirt that is left in the carpet cuts into the fibres and weakens them, so when you vacuum they tend to break off and go into the vacuum cleaner bag. This eventually ruins the carpet so prevention is better than a cure. Using mats both inside and outside of external doors will ensure that tracked in dirt is kept to a minimum.